Ah, so my first "real" entry. I guess I need to decide what I want to use this thing for - I enjoy reading my friend's blogs/journals/diaries because it gives me a sense of knowing what is going on in their lives. It seems no one has time to email anymore these days (and letters and phone calls are out of fashion). But some friends make me uncomfortable with the amount of detail they give about their personal lives. I guess if that's what they choose to reveal, it is up to them. But then again, when it involves talking about partners, friends, etc., it does get more difficult. It is after all, part of what is going on in your life, but does that other person want their details revealed to the world? I guess I need to see where this takes me, but at the moment, it will be a place for me to tell what's going on in my world, without being too revealing. Somewhat like a "group email" - while I may talk to someone one-on-one about particular issues, it wouldn't be something I reveal to everyone. So I guess that is my yardstick for now.
So my first topic of discussion. I went to the gym the other day. I guess to most people, this would seem like an average statement. But to those who know me, this is probably quite a bizarre comment. I am inherently lazy - if I can avoid movement, I do. I detest sweating. So why did I decide that joining a gym seemed like a good idea? Hard to answer. I felt like I needed to do something - coming home after work, and sitting watching tv, is, well, dull. I'm too tired from staring at a computer screen to read or do work on my computer (my excuse for not emailing friends) when I get home. And while I have established a good group of friends here, I feel like I need to meet some more people, and to develop a "thing" of my own. So that when my friends are all busy, and I'm on my own, I have another outlet. The gym I joined meets my criteria - namely, it has a swimming pool, and it's about 2 minutes from my flat, so I have NO excuse for not going to it. I received my induction and learned to use the equipment, and on Wednesday I went on my own and tried it.
And it was hard. I could barely do 5 minutes on the cross-trainer (okay maybe starting on that was a bad idea for a newbie, but all the other machines were full). But I accomplished 15 minutes on various machines, followed by 10 solid minutes of swimming. Not bad for a first-timer. I didn't want to overdo it, and am not sure of my limits yet. I sweated, but I wasn't sore the next day. And yes, I enjoyed it. So now I need to go back. I need to get into a routine, which will encourage me to go. But I will do it - I paid them money afterall!
I don't really have a point to my story, but I guess that's the thing about this, I don't need to have a point. I just talk. I should mention now that I tend to ramble - I'll try to break it up into more readable chunks next time.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home